Sunday, February 22, 2009

Bourton-on-the-Water

Since we live quite close to the Cotswolds, occasionally we go for long walks in some of the most beautiful villages in England. Our friends visiting us from abroad are always impressed by the serene towns and villages scattered along quiet water streams, by the beautiful stone houses and the green valleys and fields. And so are we.
Last weekend we went to Bourton-on-the-Water, probably one of the most attractive Cotswolds destination judging by the number of tourists on the streets. The River Windrush with its crystal clear water (to be honest the water was quite cloudy because of all the snow melting upstream) runs through the village and it’s spanned by quite a few small bridges. I think this is the reason Bourton-on-the-Water is sometimes called the “Venice of the Cotswolds”.
We’ve visited a few antique shops, and a remarkable model railway. I’ve spent about half an hour playing with the trains and decided I want my own train too. Luckily Georgi was there to bring me back to Earth. I was quite impressed with the trains so I went to talk to the owners. To my disappointment they didn’t know much about the history of their shop and small museum. To them it was just a business they bought a few years ago.
For the determined tourist there are some other things around. There is a 1:10 replica of the actual village (the model village) that features the model of the model itself… I wonder if the model of the model also includes the model of the model of the model… We’ve also noticed a small motoring museum, a fragrance factory offering guided tours and a bird theme park. A lot of attractions for such a small place.

In the evening, somehow all the tourists have vanished. The village became quiet and empty, and a bizarre serenity filled the empty streets. And on one of the small alleys on the banks of the Windrush, Georgi decided to teach me my first waltz steps. Just the two of us beneath the glow of the street lamps. One two three, one two three…
More pictures here.

No comments:

Post a Comment