Wednesday, January 07, 2009

My books

As I was sitting in my bed thinking whether I should finish my book or post something here, suddenly I found myself in a dilemma. Which book should I finish? I knew I had "a couple" of books that were sitting there for quite a while so I decided to do a rigorous count. The result was at least surprising, so brace yourselves! Apparently last year I've started about 25 books. Out of these I've managed to read "da capo al fine" exactly 3 (three!). Sitting next to my bed are 20 books (see the above photo), mostly bought from Amazon, all of them with some kind of marker somewhere between page 15 and 100.
These are books I started reading because I thought they were interesting in the first place, and they are, but somehow I got carried away doing other "more important" things, and... Well to be honest I guess I was just too lazy, chaotic and sleepy to do it.
Here's my list in no particular order (actually, it's the order you see in the stack):
  1. Bad Science - Ben Goldacre
  2. How to Fossilise Your Hamster - Mick O'Hare
  3. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
  4. Ratiuni ale Inimii - Clifford Goldstein
  5. Watership Down - Richard Adams
  6. The Emperor's New Mind - Roger Penrose
  7. The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
  8. The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien
  9. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Stephen Covey
  10. Not Quite the Diplomat - Chris Patten
  11. The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
  12. Don't Sweat the Small Stuff - Richard Carlson
  13. Orbitor aripa dreapta - Mircea Cartarescu
  14. The Audacity of Home - Barack Obama
  15. Dreams from my Fater - Barack Obama
  16. Caderea Romei si Sfarsitul Civilizatiei - Bryan Ward-Perkins
  17. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
  18. The Road to Reality - Roger Penrose
  19. Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis
  20. Avoid Boring People - James Watson
Pretty random things I would say. I guess some of these books will have to be abandoned, but most of them I still think are worth reading. Since I have some other projects this year, I've decided to "catch up" by reading maybe a book a month which doesn't sound too difficult. This is one of my New Year's Resolutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment